Here are some of the inventory monitoring applications to which ITCS®is suited. We have chosen to reference applications in a retail environment, but the system can equally well be applied in other areas where similar business processes concerning inventory management are implemented.
- Retail store:
- Back of store, including receiving, back-stock on racks or free-standing on the floor, replenishment doors, etc.
- Replenishment operations, with inventory tagged at the carton / case or item level, or non-tagged items that are carried to the sales floor in tagged returnable plastic tote bins which have been packed and shipped from a DC.
- Sales floor, perhaps monitoring categories such as apparel or electronics (including DVDs and CDs).
- Tracking items to selected points of interest around a sales floor: replenishment; display shelves; point of sale; exit.
- Promotions compliance, tracking the location of point-of-purchase display modules (display components and display ready inventory) in both back of store and on the retail sales floor.
- DSD monitoring, tracking the arrival and proper placement of tagged inventory that is delivered direct to the sales floor by a supplier.
- Tracking capital equipment (e.g. clothing carousels, material movement equipment, cash boxes, returnable containers such as those used to carry fresh produce).
- “Open box” cash and carry warehouse; identifying and locating pallets and cartons / cases of goods on the sales floor and in high-bay racking.
- Distribution center:
- Goods receiving; monitoring multiple dock doors for pallets and cartons received.
- Goods receiving; scanning tagged items in a carton/case, as an inspection step prior to loading onto a carousel sorter for placing into inventory.
- Parallel loading of pallets for two stores from a common conveyor spur.
- Goods dispatch; monitoring multiple dock doors for pallets and cartons/cases being loaded onto trucks.
- Locating a carton/case in a high bay rack.
For efficient replenishment operations in a retail store, there is a need to quickly locate a particular carton/case of an item specified in a pick list provided to a store associate for action. ITCS continuously monitors tagged cartons/cases in the stock room so that the present location of tagged cartons/cases may be known, in 3D, without having to go searching for specified goods using a hand-held reader in an attempt to find a particular carton/case. This provides real-time visibility of goods, leading to accurate perpetual inventory figures, which are foundational to making good replenishment decisions. Moreover, because ITCS monitors inventorymovement in real-time, automatically, business rules can be applied to raise alerts on receipt of priority items, or inappropriate movement of tagged goods, or excessive dwell time (e.g. a tagged case has spent too long back of store).
ITCS can tackle the problems of real-time inventory monitoring in a way which portal and hand-held solutions simply can not, because ITCS achieves truly zonal monitoring in 3D and does not rely on the movement of goods through a portal or to be approached and scanned manually in order to achieve reliable identification and to ascertain where the goods are located.
With RF Controls’ ITCS solution, you can know what you’ve got and where it is presently located in 3D, thus leading to improvements in inventory management decisions.